The start of a new year is a great time to evaluate how your finances and make a savings plan. If your bank account isn’t where you’d like it to be, read on to find out how save an extra $1,000 this year.
As of February 1, there are 334 days left in 2013. A little math reveals that setting aside $3 a day for the rest of the year will total $1,002 by the end of the year. Here are 10 tips to help you save $3 a day:
1. Skip the coffee shop before work. Instead, make coffee and breakfast before you head out the door.
2. Read magazines online or at the library instead of buying a copy in the check-out lane.
3. Bring your lunch to work. Packing your lunch with last night’s leftovers makes your dollars go even farther.
4. Cancel your gym membership. Find ways to exercise at home or go for a walk outside.
5. On your next trip to the grocery store, save money by comparing prices and buying generic brands instead of name brands.
6. Make handmade cards or baked goods for friends and relatives celebrating birthdays or special occasions instead of buying cards and gifts.
7. Take advantage of coupons provided in your local newspaper or by third-party online coupon providers.
8. Rent a movie to watch with your family at home instead of hitting up the theater.
9. Find someone at work to carpool with. With the price of gas, this could save you a lot more than $3 a day!
10. Clean out your closets. Take clothes your family no longer wears to a consignment shop that will give you a cut of the profits.